Springtime is when homeowners throw open doors and windows and give homes a thorough cleaning. It also is a good time to check air-conditioning and heating equipment. Heavy winter use of your system just ended. Summer, another peak season, is just around the corner. Here are some tips:
* Clean and replace furnace and air-conditioning filters. This should be a chore you do monthly. Many people don't.
* Clear your air conditioner's drainage hole, located beneath the evaporator fins. Use a wire to poke through the hole and clear it.
* Open the housing on your dehumidifier. Vacuum the surface, and let it dry completely.
* Clean bathroom fans. Take the cover off, wash it in soapy water and clean dirt off the fan blades.
* Caulk around windows and doors annually. This keeps out heat and humidity in the summer and cold drafts in the winter.