Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about HVAC Overview and other HVAC topics.
Springtime is when homeowners throw open doors and windows and give homes a thorough cleaning. It also is a good time to check air-conditioning and heating equipment. Heavy winter use of your system just ended. Summer, another peak season, is just around the corner. Here are some tips:
* Clean and replace furnace and air-conditioning filters. This should be a chore you do monthly. Many people don't.
* Clear your air conditioner's drainage hole, located beneath the evaporator fins. Use a wire to poke through the hole and clear it.
* Open the housing on your dehumidifier. Vacuum the surface, and let it dry completely.
* Clean bathroom fans. Take the cover off, wash it in soapy water and clean dirt off the fan blades.
* Caulk around windows and doors annually. This keeps out heat and humidity in the summer and cold drafts in the winter.
|Sheri Ann Richerson|