HVAC technicians need to have a variety of skills. They also need EPA certification for handling refrigerants. Here is the skill set technicians in training need to acquire:
* Assembling, connecting, insulating pipes;
* Wiring equipment and systems;
* Troubleshooting mechanical problems;
* Knowledge of mechanical systems;
* Installation of ductwork;
* Understanding blueprints;
* Communication with customers and dealers.
Students should be prepared for on-the-job training and formal studies toward certification.