Evaporative Cooler Operation
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Evaporative Cooling Fans and other HVAC topics.
How does an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler) operate?
Here are some tips for proper evaporative cooler (swamp cooler) operation:
- For each 1,000 CFM of cooling capacity, open windows (or doors) to provide 1 to 2 square feet of air exchange.
- Strike the right balance. Experiment by opening different windows and doors to find the most effective combination for cooling.
- Close windows and doors in unoccupied rooms.
- Another option in lieu of opening windows is to install exhaust ducts in the ceiling. You may also need to install additional attic ventilation.
- Change or clean evaporative cooler pad and filters as recommended by the manufacturer. (Always disconnect the electricity before performing maintenance).
- Evaporative coolers normally have a vent-only option that allows the cooler to be used as a whole-house fan.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.